Ali Alvi with Jason Barnard at The Bing Series
Ali Alive talks to Jason Barnard about the search algorithm for featured snippets.
First thing we learn is that this feels a lot like a soccer interview.
And a nice clarification – Q&A are pulled from the blue links below it. Other rich elements such as video and images don’t rely on the pages the 10 blue links provide – they have a separate selection process. Now that is interesting.
Even more interesting – Ali answers the intriguing question “where do the descriptions for the blue link / core results come from?” (spoiler alert – it isn’t from the core algo!)
We talk a great deal about trust – Bing must trust the website providing the answer. So building trust over time has to be key. And then onto the main factors / features that affect ranking for Q&A are: accuracy, trust, authoritativeness, freshness… and not being offensive (aka safeguarding Microsoft’s reputation).
Catch the rest of the Bing Series:
- How Ranking Works at Bing – Frédéric Dubut, Senior Program Manager Lead, Bing
- Discovering, Crawling, Extracting and Indexing at Bing – Fabrice Canel Principal Program Manager, Bing
- How the Q&A / Featured Snippet Algorithm Works – (this episode) Ali Alvi, Principal Lead Program Manager AI Products, Bing
- How the Image and Video Algorithm Works – Meenaz Merchant, Principal Program Manager Lead, AI and Research, Bing
- How the Whole Page Algorithm Works – Nathan Chalmers, Program Manager, Search Relevance Team, Bing